Mobile Movie Coordinator
The Mobile Movie Coordinator will work directly under the Education and Programs Director to research, coordinate, and launch a new Mobile Movie initiative for the Philadelphia Film Society. The Mobile Movie project is an accessibility and participation-focused screening program that provides underserved Philadelphia residents the opportunity to engage with relevant programming curated by the Philadelphia Film Society at established community gathering spaces with outreach dedicated to removing economic, social, and geographic barriers.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- Film Accessibility – Create an opportunity that provides access to outstanding cinema that is not cost prohibitive. Offer participants exposure to contemporary independent films that they may otherwise not have the opportunity to see. Expand audiences for powerful films to enlighten, educate, and entertain.
- Community Engagement – Support a shared cultural experience across a broad cross-section of the community by creating casual opportunities for participants to gather and engage. Provide access to diverse films that are relevant to particular communities to increase education and understanding. Offer an opportunity to interact with filmmakers, other artists, or content-related community leaders and organizers to enrich the screening experience and encourage dialogue.
- Theater and Space Adaptation – Highlight and reinvigorate the movie theater as an important and impactful community gathering place with the adaptation and flexibility of reaching community members within the comfort of their own neighborhoods at familiar, existing, and successful gathering places. Add value to and expand programming depth and social opportunities at existingcommunity centers, recreation centers, parks, schools, and other gathering places.
INTENDED IMPACT & MEASURABLE RESULTS
- Participating community members will leave a Mobile Movie pop-up event with an awareness of a contemporary film they otherwise may not have the opportunity to see, an introductory understanding of a relevant story or issue, and the inspiration to continue to think critically about topics relating to audiences as individuals, families, or their community at large.
- Successful impact, with relation to the program goals and objectives listed above, is measured through dialogue, specifically through exit surveys and written testimonials with feedback requested from all program participants at the time of each event. Feedback will also be requested from participating community leaders, organizers, and venue staff who assisted in event organization.
- Each event will be informally evaluated at the conclusion of each screening including reports on attendance, demographics, partner experience, participant satisfaction, and logistics including opportunities for participants to submit comments, questions, and suggestions.
- The program as a whole will be assessed in September 2015.
The ideal candidate will hold a Bachelors Degree with emphasis in Communications, Hospitality, Regional Planning or related fields and have a minimum of one year experience with diverse community outreach and arts administration. Marketing, event planning, and event execution experience a plus. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite is required; familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite a plus. Must be a highly organized, independent individual with strong communication skills who can demonstrate excellence in time management, collaborative efforts, and innovative thinking. Reliable transportation and ability to lift 50lbs required.
- Identify target neighborhoods and associated underserved communities
- Research and conduct outreach to existing community groups and non-profit organizations, community leaders and liaisons, and existing gathering places within target neighborhoods including meetings and site visits
- Establish and grow meaningful relationships within targeted communities
- Determine best practices for organizing a Mobile Movie House including schedule, content, and marketing/promotion specific to each individual event and community
- Identify topics and issues relevant to target neighborhoods and communities and conduct programming research to identify appropriate contemporary film selections that align with the PFS mission to bring the very best in contemporary cinema to the Greater Philadelphia region
- Collaborate with PFS Education and Programs Director and Artistic Director to curate films informed by specific research and outreach results
- Identify and coordinate all aspects of participation of filmmakers, other artists, and/or local content-related community leaders and organizers, including travel, accommodation, and transportation, to enrich the screening experience through Q&A sessions, talk-backs, discussion groups, or panels
- Collaborate with community groups, leaders, and liasons to coordinate supplemental literature or other takeaway pieces at the events where appropriate
- Collaborate with community representatives to determine practices and metrics to measure event success and gather feedback specific to each community and event
- Produce event reports for individual screenings; incorporate feedback to innovate and further develop subsequent events
- Evaluate and report on the program as a whole upon completion in September 2015
- Contribute to additional special projects as needed
Under the direction of the Managing Director, the Marketing Manager will assist with the development and implementation of a strategic marketing and outreach plan to build awareness of PFS, the PFS Roxy Theater, carry out its mission, and attract new constituents and audiences.
Responsibilities of the Marketing Manager (as they relate to the organization’s goals) include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate with all departments to produce an annual communications calendar that prioritizes messaging and establishes marketing initiatives for the year
- Strategize concepts for a marketing and advertising plan to promote PFS’ mission and programs to the widest possible audience
- Coordinate and maintain all marketing efforts, including online event listings, social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Blog, and website) and traditional media (newspaper, radio, and print materials)
- Contribute promotional content to all marketing materials, with the assistance of outside vendors and designers when appropriate
- Manage email messaging initiatives via bi-weekly and monthly newsletter contact
- Identify and expand community partnerships through coordination of networking opportunities, community presentations, research and shared data projects
- Maintain and update hard copy and computer files of all completed marketing projects
- Maintain inventory of promotional materials (i.e., brochures, flyers, giveaways, etc.)
- Maintain PFS’ communications calendar and research new marketing ideas as appropriate
- Coordinate the design and implementation of advertising campaigns
- Manage graphic designers, marketing coordinators and interns.
Film Festival Marketing
- Create, manage and implement the communication and promotional plan for the annual Philadelphia Film Festival
- Facilitate media partnerships and advertising purchases in advance of and during the Festival
- Manage the development of marketing support materials to assist staff in sales and promotion efforts before and during the Film Festival
- Provide steady reporting on marketing efforts to coincide with increased sales projections.
- Meet or exceed annual marketing goals
- Work within the approved marketing budget
- Maintain the annual communications calendar
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations, public policy, English or a related field
- At least 3 years of professional experience marketing multi-day events and/or live events is strongly preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to accountability, measuring outcomes and a results-oriented culture
- Adequate experience in the marketing and public relations field
- Familiarity with social media platforms, including Facebook and Twitter
- Working knowledge of Adobe Design software (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) preferred
- Ability to develop and analyze reports
- Experience working with direct mail and design companies
- Strong interpersonal, administration and management skills
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Sound judgment, professionalism and a positive attitude
- Resourcefulness, creativity and strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends as necessary
Internship Positions Available – January – May 2015
The Philadelphia Film Society is in search of interns that will help in all areas of the organization during the spring semester programs in 2015.
Hours: 16-24 hours a week. All interns must commit up to 3 evenings a month to assist staff when hosting events, festivals and/or film screenings.
Start: January 2015
Interns will be placed in various areas of the organization, based on skill set:
Membership & Development
• Assist with planning and coordination of weekly member-related film events.
• Generate accurate and timely thank you letters and other correspondence.
• Continually update and maintain database records
• Assist with additional database projects as needed.
• Assist with coordination of annual giving appeals and membership renewals.
Education & Outreach
• Assist with preparation of promotional materials, curriculum, teaching resources, and interpretive guides for year-round film programs
• Maintaining outreach and partnership databases
• Assisting in data tracking and program evaluation other education-related events.
• Coordinating and managing eduation and special program-related events.
• Performing additional clerical duties as needed.
Marketing & Public Relations
• Develop niche media lists and update database
• Update event listings on various community calendars
• Write and proofread web and blog copy
• Assist with social media efforts
• Draft and maintain monthly e-newsletter
• Assist PR and Marketing teams as needed