The lineup includes the limited series April Screws and It’s Alive! As well as screenings of DAZED AND CONFUSED part of the Choose Your Own 4/20 Experience, LA DOLCE VITA, THE THIRD MAN, and MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO!
We excited to announce the full lineup of curated programming for April through May taking place at the Philadelphia Film Center and PFS Bourse. The lineup includes the limited series April Screws, the screwball comedies of Hollywood’s Golden Era continue to cause shrieks with every double entendre and twisted wordplay, a Throwback Quizzo & Movie screening of BASEKETBALL, family-friendly screening of WALL-E with pre-screening activities, and cult classic THE WICKER MAN – FINAL CUT (1973).
Tickets to individual screenings are currently available to purchase on Filmadelphia.org, prices range from $14 to as low as $5. Individual tickets can be purchased for all films in limited series at the price point of $14 ($9 for PFS Members) or there is a bundle ticketing option available for those interested in attending all films in the series. The Sight and Sound six film bundle is $60 ($48 for PFS Members). The Fluid Karma Tour bundle is $35 ($25 for PFS Members). The April Screws three film bundle is $33 ($24 for PFS Members). The It’s Alive! four film bundle is $40 ($30 for PFS Members). The Wicker Men two film bundle is $25 ($15 for PFS Members).
Below you will find more information about the screenings.
Curated Programming for April – May Lineup
- SOUTHLAND TALES: CANNES CUT with live performance by Rebekah Del Rio & Richard Kelly Q&A | April 1 | 7:00 PM | Film Center
- DONNIE DARKO in 4K with Richard Kelly Q&A | April 2 | 6:00 PM | Film Center
- RRR | April 21 / 7:00 PM | May 27 / 7:00 PM | Film Center
- Academy Award viewers may have just learned of Best Original Song winner “Naatu, Naatu”, but anyone who has attended our monthly RRR screenings over the past year know that the greatest spectacle of the decade is three hours of pure cinematic bliss that must be seen in theaters. Come celebrate, cheer along, and see the most epic, ferocious, entertaining film to ever screen in Philly!
Limited Series: April Screws – The screwball comedies of Hollywood’s Golden Era continue to cause shrieks with every double entendre and twisted wordplay.
- THE LADY EVE | April 1 / 4:00 PM | April 22 / 3:30 PM | Film Center
- The unforgettable Barbara Stanwyck sets her mark on Henry Fonda in this endlessly entertaining tale of love at first con from Hollywood’s Golden-era genius, Preston Sturges.
- IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT | April 4 / 7:00 PM | April 27 / 7:00 | Film Center
- Equally feverishly funny and romantic, Clark Gable’s reporter only seeks a coveted exclusive when he finds himself stranded at a bus station with spoiled heiress Claudette Colbert until his heart takes the lede.
- HIS GIRL FRIDAY | April 8 / 2:30 PM | April 26 / 7:00 PM | Film Center
- The definitive screwball comedy finds Cary Grant hilariously trying to stop journalist, and ex-wife, Rosalind Russell from remarrying in a legendary battle of wit and iconic one-liners
Limited Series: It’s Alive! – Wonderfully demented and terrifying sequels that proved there was still blood pumping in these classic horror franchises.
- THE EXORCIST III on 35MM | May 5 / 7:00 PM | May 26 / 7:00 PM | Film Center
- The profound and spine-tingling sequel to the terrifying original pits George C. Scott against a mysterious string of murders with an MO of the long deceased Gemini Killer. Heads will surely roll.
- THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE II on 35MM | May 5 / 9:30 PM | May 25 / 7:30 PM | Film Center
- Tobe Hooper puts everything on the dinner table, and then burns it down, in the gore-tastic, darkly comic sequel that abandons the stark grit for a crazed Dennis Hopper hunting down the elusive chainsaw murderers.
- A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET III: DREAM WARRIORS on 35MM | May 12 / 9:00 PM |May 26 / 9:30 PM | Film Center
- With the aid of a familiar therapist, an unlikely ragtag group of teenagers embark on psychokinetic group therapy when they band together to battle an even more formidable and trash talking Freddy.
- HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH | May 20 | 9:00 PM | Bourse
- If the latex masks don’t send you on a murderous rampage, then Silver Shamrock’s cruelly catchy jingle and mustachioed Tom Atkins’ poor parenting surely will in this delightfully fun and unique thriller.
After Hours: Bringing together the odd, eerie, thrilling, and downright weird, this is the home of cult classics.
- VIDEODROME in 4K | April 6 / 7:30 PM | April 8 / 7:30 PM | Film Center
- A man unravels as he becomes obsessed with locating the source of a mysterious TV station that broadcasts increasingly disturbing scenes of terror in one of David Cronenberg’s finest achievements.
- THE WICKER MAN – FINAL CUT (1973) | May 6 / 9:00 PM / Film Center | May 19 / 7:00 PM / Bourse
- A devout Police officer investigates a secluded island for a missing young girl during the Pagan community’s May Day festivities only to discover the maypole and giant human effigy aren’t just for decoration.
Debut: All filmmakers have to start somewhere. A debut film may catapult a director into the auteur stratosphere or be merely a blip on their IMDb list, yet the debut remains a defining moment that can serve as film forensic for everything that follows.
- SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK | April 2 / 3:00 PM | April 19 / 7:00 PM | Film Center
- In acclaimed screenwriter Charlie Kaufman’s criminally underseen debut, the late Philip Seymour Hoffman completely embodies a conflicted theater director determined to, literally, make the stage his world.
- MEDICINE FOR MELANCHOLY | May 24 | 7:00 PM | Film Center
- Barry Jenkins’ (MOONLIGHT) distinct cinematic eye is firmly established in his gorgeous 2008 debut that features Wyatt Cenac and Tracey Higgins opening up to each other during an odyssey across San Francisco following a one-night stand.
Film Essentials: Cinema’s greatest treasures as they were meant to be seen: on the big screen
- THE CONFORMIST in 4K | May 20 | 6:30 PM | Bourse
- An astounding 4K restoration ignites Bertolucci’s evocative and enchanting Art Deco masterpiece about an Italian bureaucrat’s memory-laced journey that led him to attempt the assassination of his former mentor.
Several Sight and Sound 100 screenings are also part of the Film Essentials series this season, please see below for more details.
Guilty Treasures: Sometimes a film can make your head spin and heart sing with a script that captures the entire human condition, performances that come from the soul, and a rousing, triumphant score. Sometimes a film can just make you laugh and yell “How?!?” or “Why?!?!” a thousand times.
- TAMMY AND THE T-REX | April 7 | 9:30 PM | Bourse
- Featuring Paul Walker and Denise Richards in their debut lead roles, an (animatronic) t-rex with the brain of a hormone-raged teen finds love and carnage in this legendary cult classic from MAC AND ME’s Stewart Raffill.
- THE WICKER MAN (2006) | May 19 | 9:30 PM | Bourse
- Whether you are wearing a bear suit, sacrificing children, or just an amateur apiologist, Nic Cage is going to Nic Cage all over your island. You’ve been warned.
Family Matinees: Welcoming children and caregivers to experience kid-friendly classics both new and old.
- WALL-E | April 23 / 3:00 PM | April 27 / 10:00 AM* | Film Center
- Starring the most charming protagonist made up of wires and bolts in cinema, this anomaly in the Pixar Dynasty is both a timeless love story and a cautionary tale about the world we will one day leave behind.
- THE LION KING | May 21 / 3:00 PM | May 25 / 10:00 AM* | Film Center
- One of the finest films on Disney’s shelf, Simba and friends continue to lure audiences of all ages and across generations with memorable musical numbers and the lion cub’s quest to become the roaring leader of the animal kingdom.
$6 | $4 Child
* Sensory Friendly Screenings – a screening where the lights are up, the sound is down, and patrons are invited to respond to the film in whatever way feels best for their bodies and minds! For more information please check Filmadelphia.org/Sensory-Friendly.
Science on Screen®: The Science on Screen® program pairs screenings of classic, cult, science fiction, and documentary films with lively presentations by notable experts from the world of science and technology. Each film is used as a jumping-off point for a speaker to introduce current research or technological advances in a manner that engages audiences of all backgrounds.
- 12 MONKEYS | May 1 | 6:30 PM | Film Center
- In Terry Gilliam’s triumphant adaptation of LA JETÉE, a Philadelphian travels back in time to thwart a mysterious group from releasing a major virus that decimates nearly the entire world population.
Sight and Sound 100: Once a decade, Sight and Sound magazine releases the coveted critic’s poll for The Greatest Films of All Time. The 100 films and their rankings may cause joy, pain, or perplexity in many film aficionados, but always sparks passionate conversations. Join PFS as we embark on the journey together and screen all 100 films from the 2022 list, counting down, in order throughout the entire year. So by next year you’ll know where you stand.
- MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO | May 6 | 3:00 PM | Film Center
- BFI’s 2022 Sight & Sound List #74 | Dir. Hayao Miyazaki
- JOURNEY TO ITALY | April 8 | 5:00 PM | Film Center
- BFI’s 2022 Sight & Sound List #73 | Dir. Roberto Rossellini
- L’AVVENTURA | April 13 | 7:00 | Film Center
- BFI’s 2022 Sight & Sound List #72 | Dir. Michelangelo Antonioni
- METROPOLIS | April 22 | 6:00 PM | Film Center
- BFI’s 2022 Sight & Sound List #71 | Dir. Fritz Lang | Part of Film Essentials
- THE GLEANERS AND I | April 23 | 6:45 PM | Film Center
- BFI’s 2022 Sight & Sound List #70 | Dir. Agnès Varda
- THE RED SHOES | April 28 | 7:00 PM | Film Center
- BFI’s 2022 Sight & Sound List #69 | Dir. Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger
- LA JETÉE | April 23 | 6:15 PM | Film Center
- BFI’s 2022 Sight & Sound List #68 | Dir. Chris Marker
- ANDREI RUBLEV | April 30 | 2:00 PM & 6:15 PM | Film Center
- BFI’s 2022 Sight & Sound List #67 | Dir. Andrei Tarkovsky | Part of Film Essentials
- TOUKI BOUKI | May 3 | 7:00 PM | Film Center
- BFI’s 2022 Sight & Sound List #66 | Dir. Djibril Diop Mambéty
- CASABLANCA in 4K | May 6 | 6:30 PM | Film Center
- BFI’s 2022 Sight & Sound List #65 | Dir. Michael Curtiz
- THE THIRD MAN in 4K | May 7 / 3:00 PM | May 11 / 7:00 PM | Film Center
- BFI’s 2022 Sight & Sound List #64 | Dir. Carol Reed
- GOODFELLAS in 4K | May 7 / 6:00 PM | May 13 / 6:00 PM | Film Center
- BFI’s 2022 Sight & Sound List #63 | Dir. Martin Scorsese
- DAUGHTERS OF THE DUST | May 14 / 3:00 PM / Film Center | May 17 / 7:00 PM / Bourse
- BFI’s 2022 Sight & Sound List #62 | Dir. Julie Dash | Part of Film Essentials
- MOONLIGHT | May 18 / 7:00 PM / Bourse | May 21 / 5:30 PM / Film Center
- BFI’s 2022 Sight & Sound List #61 | Dir. Barry Jenkins
- LA DOLCE VITA | May 27 / 3:00 PM / Film Center | May 31 / 6:30 PM / Bourse
- BFI’s 2022 Sight & Sound List #60 | Dir. Federico Fellini
- SANS SOLEI | May 28 | 5:00 PM | Film Center
- BFI’s 2022 Sight & Sound List #59 | Dir. Chris Marker
- SHERLOCK JR. | May 28 | 3:00 PM | Film Center
- BFI’s 2022 Sight & Sound List #58 | Dir. Buster Keaton
Throwback Quizzo & Movie: Put your movie and pop culture knowledge to the test with this pairing of trivia and nostalgic films.
- DAZED AND CONFUSED | April 20 | Quizzo 7:00 PM /// Movie 7:30 PM | Film Center | Choose Your Throwback Stoner Experience
- Though we may be getting older, tired, and more cynical, the unforgettable jocks, freaks and geeks of Richard Linklater’s stoned classic keep on L-I-V-I-N. Alright, alright, alright.
- KOYAANISQATSI | April 20 | 8:00 PM | Film Center | Choose Your Throwback Stoner Experience
- Visually exhilarating and sure to send you into the stratosphere, the apocalyptic effect technology and humanity’s existence has had on Spaceship Earth is unforgettably captured to the hypnotic, haunting sounds of Philip Glass.
- BASEKETBALL | May 5 | Quizzo 7:00 PM /// Movie 7:30 PM | Film Center
- First you get the job. Then you get the khakis. Then you get the chicks. At least according to burnouts Trey Parker and Matt Stone when they create the world’s most lay-z-boy sport in this ‘90s time capsule of absurdity.
For more information about the titles please visit Filmadelphia.org/NowShowing.